Greetings from this Giants fan and from your sister SB Nation site, Big Blue View! Over at BBV, we're doing a two-round community mock draft with various site members playing the roles of GM for each of the various teams (go to BBV Community Mock Draft StoryStream). I'll be picking on behalf of the Panthers, and I'm hoping not to screw it up too royally for you Panthers faithful.
That's why I'm here. To ask you all to use the comment section to give me your guidance as to what you'd like to see-or what you expect to see (if you think that's different) in the first two rounds of this year's draft. I've been lurking here at CSR behind the scenes to get a sense of what your team's needs are (as well as what the fans' "wants" are), but I figured I'd reach out for a bit more direct input from you guys.
From the very limited research I've done and my very limited, admittedly outsider's-perspective review of your roster, it seems to me that your biggest needs are at OT, WR, and CB. I have a pretty good idea of the guys who are in play in the range of both picks at these positions, and who I'd personally consider, but you all are much more informed as to who would fit with and be good value for the Panthers. Like I said, I don't want to be off base with my picks, and I want to make sure that I'm not oversimplifying things or overlooking any under-the-surface roster wrinkles that I may not be aware of (and that you experts are aware of and can educate me on).
So here are some of the general, open-ended questions I was hoping some of you could chime in on to help me make educated, well-justified picks in the BBV mock draft. Feel free to weigh in on as few or as many as you want, in as much or as little detail as you feel like. This is all bonus help for me, so anything you could provide (however limited) would be appreciated!
- What do you see as your main positions of need? What priority ranking would you give to each position of need?
- What positional sequence (if you think in that way) do you think is most likely what the Panthers will pursue in the first two rounds? What positional sequence would you LIKE them to pursue in the first two rounds, if that's different?
- Who are some of the prospects that you feel are the best fits for your team at the various positions of need? Who are some of the prospects that you feel are NOT good fits?
- Who are some of the prospects that you feel will be the best potential value at positions of need around the time of your first two picks?
- Who are some of the prospects most commonly being mocked to the Panthers in the first two rounds? How do you feel about those commonly-mocked players? Good fit or bad fit? Love them or hate them?
- Are there certain guys who you don't see getting mocked to the Panthers who you think are being overlooked as potentially good targets in the first two rounds?
- Most of the national mock drafts seem to be of the view that a WR is an absolute must for the Panthers in the first round. How accurate is that, though, in light of the immense depth at that position in this year's draft? From my perspective, OT is at least just as big a need, but is that how you all see it?
- If you'd like to provide your own individual mock drafts, feel free!
- Any other thoughts you think this outsider should know?
Sorry for the inquisition, but like I said, feel free to share as little or as much you want. Thanks for taking the time to help! I'll let you know how it turns out! (At this point, we're only 8 picks into the first round, and about 2-3 picks per day are being posted, so it will be awhile.)