Each year, the NFL's Competition Committee meets in the spring to decide on proposed rule changes to the sport. This year is no different, and the proposals for the rules changes were announced earlier today. The Committee Chairman, Atlanta Falcons President and CEO Rich McKay, announced the proposals on a conference call Wednesday afternoon. Thanks to @SBNationNFL and @footballzebras, we have gathered together the proposals and can break them down.
- Move kickoffs to 40-yard line (proposed by Redskins)
- Make personal foul penalties reviewable (Redskins)
- No overtime in preseason games (Redskins)
- Extend goalposts five feet higher (Patriots)
- Move PAT line of scrimmage to 25-yard line (Patriots)
- Add cameras to goal lines to assist with instant replay (Patriots)
- Allow any referee's decision to be reviewable (Patriots)
- Include blocks from the side in "roll-up" block personal foul penalties (proposed by Committee)
- Allow replay communications between officials to include league representative at league office (Committee)
- Make the recovery of a loose ball a reviewable play and reorganize the replay section of the rules (Committee)
- Allow clock to run when quarterback is sacked at all times (Committee)
- Remove one-yard interference zone and enforce pass interference anywhere beyond line of scrimmage (Committee)
- Simplify penalty yardage enforcement on certain plays including change of possession (Committee)
The ones I like are:
#2 - That way they can catch the instigator as well because it's always the guy that responds that gets the flag. I bet we end up with more offsetting penalties than in the past because of a review.
#3 - It just makes sense because it limits injury exposure and who really cares if a preseason game ends in a tie?
#4 - Given the kickers can kick it over the top of the posts I think this is a good one. I've seen several kicks that were questionable.
#5 - Might be the biggest impact of all as it would now put the PAT in play at a higher percentage. PATs are rarely missed and a 25 yarder is still an easy kick but I'm sure we would see a rise in misses from the 25 yd line. I like this idea much better than getting rid of the PAT.
#9 - I'm not in favor of this as it sounds like it will just muddy the water and make the replay process even longer than it has already become.
#12 - This would be another huge give away tot he offense as it would eliminate the 5 yard zone that allows contact. It would make it easier to call since you would no longer have to estimate if the PI occurred in the 5 yard zone or not.
So what does everyone think?