According to a tweet by Joe Person, the Panthers have reached an injury settlement with safety DJ Campbell.
Campbell -- who played his college football at California -- was drafted in the 7th round in last year's draft and played moderately well in limited action late last season after Sherrod Martin went on injured reserve. At the start of training camp this year he was expected to compete for the starting strong safety spot with free agent acquisition Mike Mitchell, but after being outplayed by Mitchell throughout training camp he was relegated to the 2nd unit during the preseason until a leg injury sidelined him.
He was waived/injured on Aug. 31 due to his injury and placed on injured reserve after he cleared waivers on Sept. 1, but the team's decision to give him an injury settlement shows that they intend to go into a different direction at the strong safety position.
More from Cat Scratch Reader:
- Garry Williams suffered torn MCL and ACL in loss to Seahawks
- Carolina Panthers vs. Seattle Seahawks: Grades from the game
- Carolina Panthers Monday Morning Optimist: It's all so unfair
- Panthers Smith: 'We're Going to See Them Again'
- Panthers vs. Seahawks: A Star is Born, and Other Musings from Bank of America Stadium