USA TODAY Sports
In honor of the wildly popular NCAA College Basketball Tournament, I've put together a series of brackets that gives CSR readers the opportunity to choose in a series of polls who you think would be the best combination of players for the Carolina Panthers in the 1st and 2nd round of the 2013 NFL Draft. There will be 8 total 1st round matches which will be reduced in half as each round concludes until we determine the winner in one final match. Let's. Get. It. On.
It's time for Match Two in the First Round of our CSR NFL Draft Tournament.
The second match is similar to match one in that it features both a defensive tackle and wide receiver in each. However, this time there is a position reversal. The tackles are taken in the first round, while the receivers are taken in the second.
The two teams competing in Match Two are:
Team A: Sheldon Richardson (DT) and Stedman Bailey (WR)
Team B: Jesse Williams (DT) and Quinton Patton (WR)
Before you rush off to vote, please keep the following in mind during this process:
1. Each tandem (team) will feature one defensive player and one offensive player, with one exception. This is by design. In basketball and football (team sports in general), a championship team usually has both a good/great offense and defense. The one exception will pit a duo of defensive prospects against one another.
2. You won't see the same player twice. This, too, is by design. NCAA basketball players don't jump from team to team during the tournament, and neither will the players in this competition.
3. I realize that this exercise may need some fine tuning, which will be addressed in any future bracket.
4. I also realize that some of you will be lamenting the fact that I didn't present your preferred 1st/2nd round combination. Feel free to address this "issue" in the comment section, but humor me by voting anyway.
5. I did the best that I could in determining who I felt has the best chance to be there at 14 (1st) and 44 (2nd). For example, If you are wondering why I didn't include Sharrif Floyd and Lane Johnson in this exercise, then it is because I believe they will already be gone by the time we are on the clock in the 1st round. Additionally, many of you will feel as if I reached for certain players. For instance, in today's match, some of you may feel as if 14 is too early to select WR DeAndre Hopkins, and that is perfectly fine. But, try your best not to be so concerned with where these prospects are drafted. If at all possible, focus more on what you think they can bring both individually and collectively to the Panthers when making your final decision.
6. I will check the polls the morning after each competition to see which tandem has the most votes. The duo that has the most votes will move on to each subsequent round until we crown a winner.
Which of these duos do you think would make the biggest difference for the Carolina Panthers next season and beyond?
1st Round - Match 2
|1st: DT Sheldon Richardson|
|2nd: WR Stedman Bailey|
|1st: DT Jesse Williams|
|2nd: WR Quinton Patton|
Which of these 1st and 2nd round combinations do you like best?
A: DT Sheldon Richardson/WR Stedman Bailey (181 votes)
B: DT Jesse Williams/ WR Quinton Patton (104 votes)
285 total votes