This is the mock draft of players that I really like and each would fit into what we do as a team. We have many holes, but with only 5 picks it's going to be impossible to fill them all. I figure I should do this draft before the afternoon festivities begin. I think each of these players will be around in the round I have them projected to Carolina. This draft is simply what I would do as the GM. I don't know if the Panthers like any of them, but I think each could potentially offer something next season with an eye towards the future. Enjoy!
- Round 1, pick 14 - Jesse Williams DT 'Bama - Williams is not a sexy pick, but with our edge pass-rushers, we need a immovable object in the middle and that is exactly what Williams represents. Williams will never be a pass-rushing DT, but that does not worry me in the least. He is the best run-stopper in this draft and we have not had a force in the middle since K. Jenkins. His toughness on the interior of our line will be make our front seven better immediately.
- Round 2, pick 44 - Da'Rick Rogers WR Tenn Tech - This one is a bit of a shocker i suppose, but I see Rogers as a potential #1 receiver. He has great size (6'2" 217) and good speed, but what sets him apart for me is his toughness. He will be a nightmare for opposing defenses as he has no fear of going across the middle and taking a hit. He is also a very good down field blocker. He has had some character issues, but really seems to have matured as a man. Could be a bit of a diva, but most of the great ones are.
- Round 4, pick 105 - Xavier Nixon OT UF - Nixon is a very experienced tackle. He has played on the right and left sides of the line. What sets him apart for me is his versatility and feet. He could start for Carolina at RT or RG immediately because of his size and level of skill. What makes him so valuable is his potential at LT. Excellent length and quickness could allow him to start his career on the right side and in a year or two we could have a long-term replacement for Jordan Gross. He does have mental lapses from time to time, but I love his big picture potential.
- Round 5, pick 141 - Tharold Simon CB LSU - Underclassmen that had a decent career for the Tigers. Lacks elite speed, but his size (6'2" 202) makes him a nice prospect. Plays tough and is willing to help in run support. Could develop into a starting CB in time, but should be able to contribute as a nickle or dime back and on special teams from day one.
- Round 6, pick 172 - Luke Marquardt OT Azuza Pacific - Small school prospect with awesome size (6'8" 315). Good athlete with sky-high potential. Has been tutored by Jackie Slater, one of the greatest tackles in the history of the NFL. Will take time to develop, but could turn into our RT of the future. Level of competition is an obvious negative, but I think the upside is worth the risk.
Please feel free to love it, hate it, or whatever. Any and all feedback is welcome. HAPPY ST. PATRICKS DAY CSR !!!!!