Throughout the day we'll have an ongoing look at the first round of cuts as they become available. The Carolina Panthers normally play these days close to their chest, and like free agency or practice squad moves they like to spring everything right at the league mandated deadline.
That being said, we live in a different era of sports news. With Twitter and player/fan interaction it leads to us getting news a lot faster. I expect we'll hear about several cuts prior to them being formally released by the organization.
2:42pm: The Carolina Panthers have also waived RB Lyndon Rowells, TE Greg Smith, and RB Josh Vaughan
- Read between the lines: Tauren Poole will likely be a 3rd RB.
This puts the Panthers at 75... and will be the end of cuts unless they plan to make a signing.
2:41pm: The Carolina Panthers announce they have waived G Roger Allen, WR Michael Avila, WR Brenton Bersin, and G Will Blackwell
- A lot of faith in the OL... Allen and Blackwell looked pretty good in Spartanburg. As for WR– such is the case when you bring in so many receivers.
2:40pm: The Carolina Panthers announce that WR David Gettis will start the season on the PUP list, and CB Brandon Hogan is headed to IR
- Gettis will be unable to play until at least week six, where the Panthers will need to make a determination on whether he joins the 53, or heads to IR. As for Hogan: It isn't good when an injury takes 2+ years to heal.
2:20pm: Joe Person at it again... this time announcing the cut of WR Darvin Adams
- Practice squad darling of 2011 didn't do enough to be retained this year. Cam will now be without two of his former teammates in 2012 with Adams being cut, and Lee Ziemba hitting IR.
2:16pm: According to Joe Person, Nick Harris has been cut along with Olindo Mare
- Making rookie Brad Nortman the Panthers new punter.
2:12pm: Pro Football Talk report that K Olindo Mare has been cut
- Throughout training camp he was out-performed by FA signing Justin Medlock from the CFL. This move indicates that either Medlock has either won the job outright, or the organization could be looking at a kicker cut; though it's more likely Medlock will be the Panthers new kicker.
1:58pm: Per Joe Person, agent for WR Rico Wallace announces they've reached injury settlement with Panthers
- The speedy, small-school receiver was one to watch, but struggled to stay on the field in Spartanburg. The Panthers now have twelve cuts to make.
11:20am: According to his Twitter, DE Eric Norwood has been released
- Another move that shows how abysmal the 2009 and 2010 drafts were. Now the Panthers 4th round pick from 2010 has left the organization. Norwood was a jack of all trades, master of none who never really found his place in the Panthers 4-3 defense. In the wrong position, or Everette Brown2.0? We'll never know, but I'll wager some team takes a chance on him as an OLB.