Aug 11, 2012; Charlotte, NC, USA Carolina Panthers linebacker Luke Kuechly (59) lines up against the Houston Texans during the first quarter at Bank of America Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Jeremy Brevard-US PRESSWIRE
Though I'm not sure how much we learned from this game it was good to see the Panthers on the field after a long offseason. In the end all you can say is it was a preseason game and most of what happened after the starters exited means little. These games are for looking at player performances and I have a couple good performances to point and out and a few duds.
- Luke Kuechly had four tackles and an FF in half a quarter of action; this kid is for real and will help out this defense immediately
- MLB Jason Phillips got an INT
- Keiser Gets a Sack
- Adams had an electric 34 yard punt return that looked similar to his highlight plays from Arkansas
- LB Jordan Senn was Panthers MVP with 13 tackles
- WR Louis Murphy looked good in brief action
- TE Gary Barnidge had a couple nice receptions
We'll talk about the not so good... after the jump...
Players who didn't help themselves:
- RB Josh Vaughan...just looked average physically and behind in the mental game; Ty Poole outplayed him carrying the rock
- T Garry Williams gave up the edge on several pass rushes and gave up a sack; he looked slow
- QB Jimmy Clausen gave me flashbacks to 2010...I'd rather not get into it
- WR Ajirotutu had a couple catches but also dropped a TD and had a couple others; the guy is just too inconsistent
Otherwise we saw the all too familiar poor special teams play and a porous run defense. I'm going to avoid getting too upset by the performance of both and hope ti will give the coaches and players the kick in the ass both need.
So before anyone gets too riled up on this result just remember it doesn't matter and it doesn't mean squat when the season rolls around. Kuechly and Beason will be on the field all game and hopefully so wil Ron Edwards.
So who was your Panther player of the game?