With the official SBN Blogger Mock NFL draft cruising through the second round right now over at Mocking the Draft I thought I would take a look at how the 1st round played out and see if there are any surprises.
Starting with the first eight picks leading up to the Panthers pick at #9:
4. Cleveland Browns: Justin Blackmon, WR, Oklahoma State - This is where I see the first upset coming in the real draft. Though I like the pick as Cleveland needs an elite WR but for some reason Blackmon is the guy I think will slip down past 5.
6. St. Louis Rams: Trent Richardson, RB, Alabama - If it's not the Browns who make the first surprise move then it might be the Rams. I can understand the pick if its pure BPA but is it? Do they really need a RB with Jackson in the fold?
7. Jacksonville Jaguars: Quinton Coples, DE, North Carolina - I can't argue with this pick but I'm not as sold as others this is who Jax will take. Besides, if someone wants Tanneyhill you have to talk to Jax or the Dolphins will glad snag him
9. Carolina Panthers: Fletcher Cox, DT, Mississippi State - You can read my write up for this selection here as well as why I didn't select other players here. By the way I should say this is a terrible top 8 for the Panthers as all the guys another team might trade up for short of Cox or Ingram are gone.
If got a look at the remaining 23 1st round picks after the jump...
10. Buffalo Bills: Mike Adams, OT, Ohio State - This one is a head scratcher in that hardly anyone has Adams as the 2nd best tackle in this draft. I would agree the Bills need a tackle but my guess is this blogger thinks Adams is a LT in the making, not a RT like Reiff
11. Kansas City Chiefs: Riley Reiff, OT, Iowa - So how many OL have they drafted in the last couple drafts? Maybe they get this one right.
12. Seattle Seahawks: Courtney Upshaw, OLB, Alabama - Seems like a reach at best when Ingram and Kuechly are still on the board.
13. Arizona Cardinals: Jonathan Martin, OT, Stanford - Good pick
14. Dallas Cowboys: David DeCastro, OG, Stanford - Good pick
15. Philadelphia Eagles: Luke Kuechly, LB, Boston College - Great pick
16. New York Jets: Melvin Ingram, DE/OLB, South Carolina - Great pick
17. Cincinnati Bengals: Stephon Gilmore, CB, South Carolina - I'm not in the group that thinks Gilmore is the 2nd best CB in this draft, much less worth #17. But the Bengals did well with Jonathan Joseph so...
18. San Diego Chargers: Mark Barron, SS, Alabama - I'm not big on taking safeties this early and Barron seems over-rated to me.
19. Chicago Bears: Michael Floyd, WR, Notre Dame - Good pick
20. Tennessee Titans: Dre Kirkpatrick, CB, Alabama - Could be a great pick; if Kirkpatrick ends up a PBer we can blame ourselves for putting too much into his off the field stuff
21. Cincinnati Bengals: Cordy Glenn, OG, Georgia - Good pick if OL is what they need
22. Cleveland Browns: Kendall Wright, WR, Baylor - I'm not sure what to think about Wright but considering they took Blackmon at #4 this is curious to say the least.
23. Detroit Lions: Janoris Jenkins, CB, North Alabama - Good pick, I think too much is being made of his issues and he won't much further than this next week.
24. Pittsburgh Steelers: Dont'a Hightower, LB, Alabama - Good pick
25. Denver Broncos: Michael Brockers, DT, LSU - Great pick, can't believe he slid this far
26. Houston Texans: Dontari Poe, NT, Memphis - I'm not in the group that thinks he's a 1st rounder
27. New England Patriots: Whitney Mercilus, DE, Illinois - Good pick
28. Green Bay Packers: Devon Still, DT, Penn State - I still haven't understood why a guy with his stats and measurables isn't getting top 15 consideration; this pick could be a steal
29. Baltimore Ravens: Kevin Zeitler, OG, Wisconsin - Is this guy really worth a 1st rounder or is this a need reach
30. San Francisco: Stephen Hill, WR, Georgia Tech - Another need reachin my view. Hill is very raw and will take two or three seasons to make an impact
31. New England Patriots: Kendall Reyes, DT, Connecticut - Probably another good pick
32. New York Giants: Peter Konz, C, Wisconsin - For a team with not many needs hard ot argue with adding the top talent at center
So what are your thoughts on this mock draft?