Russ Lande of the Sporting News revised his top 100 players in the upcoming draft, and really shook up the predictions of the masses. Not only does he now rate Robert Griffin III as the best player in the draft, but combine standout Dontari Poe doesn't crack the 1st round at 41.
As always I'll leave it up to you to check out the entire 100 which can be found here, but for now let's look at the top 20 players according to Lande and discuss their impact.
1. Robert Griffin III, QB, Baylor
2. Andrew Luck, QB, Stanford
3. Morris Claiborne, CB, LSU
4. Matt Kalil, OT, Southern Cal
5. Trent Richardson, RB, Alabama
No real surprises in the top 5... other than RGIII that is. However there are some interesting turns after the jump.
6. Justin Blackmon, WR, Oklahoma State
7. Melvin Ingram, DE, South Carolina
8. David Decastro, OG, Stanford
9. Luke Kuechly, LB, Boston College
10. Michael Floyd, WR, Notre Dame
Ingram is garnering a lot of attention after putting together an excellent workout in Indy. As the 7th best player overall he could be just what the Panthers need. Also of note is Luke Kuechly who cracks the top 10, and is currently sitting at the Panthers pick.
11. Devon Still, DT, Penn State
12. Cordy Glenn, G, Georgia
13. Ryan Tannehill, QB, Texas A&M
14. Michael Brockers, DT, LSU
15. Dre Kirkpatrick, CB, Alabama
The first DT on Lande's list is still Devon Still, which surprises me a little. Also of note is Georgia guard Cordy Glenn, who could be one to watch if the Panthers trade down at all.
16. Fletcher Cox, DT, Mississippi State
17. Quinton Coples, DE, North Carolina
18. Coby Fleener, TE, Stanford
19. Kendall Wright, WR, Baylor
20. Doug Martin, RB, Boise State
It's bizarre seeing Coples this low, but more surprising to see Doug Martin vaulted into the role of the draft's second best RB. Martin is drawing a lot of comparisons to Jonathan Stewart in terms of his build, strength and work ethic- furthermore he could have the greatest nickname in the history of football 'The Muscle Hamster'