So I thought I'd share my latest mock draft with you guys before FA hits and warps lots of perceived notions with certain teams. I based my draft off of 3 sources: walterfootball.com's mocks, opinions from each teams sb nation site, and my own personal opinion. This is the 1st time I've posted one, so hope you guys enjoy it (and forgive me if I accidentally misspell a prospects name).
A few things of note first (some of my projections prior to FA): Manning signs with MD, Flynn signs with CBR, Orton re-signs with KC (to compete with Cassell), Campbell signs with SS (similar skill set to Jackson and makes sense), Hillis re-signs with CBR, Finnegan signs with DC, Carr signs with DC (they get both the CBs they said they wanted)....
CP trade with NYJ. I've been projecting this trade since the end of the season and I still will, at least until we see what the Jets do in FA at that position. This nets us their 1st and 2nd, by the way. Oh and just one more reason why this trade might make sense is that we may be one of the only teams between us and them that really would be willing to trade back.
1. IC - ANDREW LUCK - QB : No explanation needed
2. WR(FROM SR) - RG3 - QB : Again, no explanation needed
3. MV - MATT KALIL - OT : Franchise left tackle, CHECK.
4. CBR - JUSTIN BLACKMON - WR : Flynn now has a #1 WR to throw to.
5. TB - MORRIS CLAIBORNE - CB : With them signing LSU's DB coach this pick makes a lot of sense, plus it gives them someone solid to replace Senior Citizen Barber and troubled Talib.
6. SR(FROM WR) - RILEY REIFF -OT : Their main priority has to be keeping Bradford healthy and Reiff solidifies their line.
7. JJ - MALCOLM FLOYD - WR : I think they would have taken Reiff if he were here, but he's not so they move on to their next massive need, a franchise WR for Gabbert. Floyd excels at attacking the middle and making the tough catch and gives Gabbert that guy he can trust.
8. MD - MELVIN INGRAM - DE/OLB : A pass rusher for their hybrid defense and someone to provide impact opposite Cameron Wake.
9. NYJ(FROM CP) - TRENT RICHARSON - HB : Greene isn't a special HB and LT is a FA. Richardson helps them to fall back into their most successful mode, ground-and-pound.
10. BB - QUENTIN COPLES - DE : Finally they get their elite pass rusher. Playing alongside Dareus could help him stay consistent and have early success.
11. KC - DONTARI POE -DT : Tough call here. Fans seem split between Jonathan Martin or Poe. I ultimately chose Poe because he gives them the NT they're lacking and really helps to solidify an already strong defense.
12. SS - LUKE KUECHLY - ILB : The best MLB in the draft goes to a well coached team that will surprise a lot of people this year with how good they'll be.
13. AC - JONATHAN MARTIN - OT : Reports say they may have to cut Levi Brown and they already had a weak O-LINE, so this pick seems like a no brainer.
14. DC - DAVID DECASTRO - G : The Cowboys took a franchise LT last year who came in and helped to provide Dallas with a great pair of Tackles. Their center and guard positions though have not been up to par. Jerry Jones gets the best guard in years to provide protection for Romo and help Murray cement himself as a dominant HB next year.
15. PE - MICHAEL BROCKERS - DT : Walterfootball cites a "reliable" source that says the Eagles will be targeting a DT in the 1st round. The fans want a DT or Kuechly. In this mock Kuechly is gone so instead they take this exciting prospect.
16. CP(FROM NYJ) - DRE KIRKPATRICK : We managed to trade back and still get a corner who will be able to come in and immediately provide help opposite Gamble. I thought about putting Jenkins here but it seems reports lately have him slipping a little and Dre further cementing himself as #2.
17. CBEN - CORDY GLENN - G/OT : The Bengals need help at guard and Glenn is worth the pick here. They decide to take him over Jenkins here since the Chargers pick next and they too highly need a guard.
18. SC - COURTNEY UPSHAW - OLB/DE : The Chargers are able to stay where they are and have the top OLB in the draft drop to them. This fills a big need and he is one of the best players available.
19. CBEA - STEPHEN HILL - WR : Just last week I criticized someone for projecting him to move high into the 1st round. After reading what the fans on the bears sbnation site think though, and considering that Lovie Smith ate lunch with Hill earlier this week, this pick might be a lock.
20. TT - WHITNEY MERCILUS - DE : The Titans need to add pass rushers and the fans seem to like Mercilus over Perry here. The other pick they're high on is Peter Konz at Center, by the way.
21. CBEN - JANORIS JENKINS - CB : The Bengals never seem to care too much in regards to character issues, and so grab a very talented corner here.
22. CBR - NICK PERRY - DE : The Browns are given the opportunity to take 2 of the top WR's in this years draft with Kendall Wright still on the clock, but most teams don't double dip on a position like that. So instead they take another dominant edge rusher to help create a formidable line with Taylor and Sheard from last years draft.
23. DL - MIKE ADAMS - OT : The Lions line is OLD! Stafford and Johnson are going to be there for many years to come so why not starting getting some youth to be able to step right in when the wheels finally fall off Backus and Paiola. Plus they may not get the chance for a high ranked OT to fall to them again for many years to come.
24. PS - DONT'A HIGHTOWER - ILB : After the Steelers mass exodus recently they have to start bringing in youth. With Farrior cut LB depth is a must and Hightower just seems like he'd make a good Steeler.
25. DB - DEVON STILL - DT : John Fox could opt for a HB here since it'll be surprising if Wilson, Miller, or Martin are still on the board come round 2. However, I think this pick comes down to who they like more between Still and Cox at DT.
26. HT - ALSHON JEFFERY - WR : This pick may be highly contested. I think Alshon is going to run a good 40 and that his stock is going to rise again in the coming weeks. The Texans need another WR but the fans DO NOT WANT Hill, Wright, Randle, or Sanu, so who else makes sense here? they adamantly say that the team will not draft a WR unless he can run block. Alshon can do this. Most fans would opt for Peter Konz if their center leaves them in FA, though. Stay tuned.
27. NE - MARK BARRON - S : One year removed from the cutting of Meriweather this team gets to take the top rated Safety to ultimately replace him.
28. GB - FLETCHER COX - DT/DE : Cox provides them a new DE to step right in and provide the pass rush lost when Jenkins left last year.
30. SF - KENDALL WRIGHT - WR : The 49ers need someone reliable he can move the chains. Alex Smith doesn't have the strongest arm, but Kendall Wright isn't just a deep threat. He's someone who excels at slant routes and going across the middle. He'd immediately bolster their WR core.
31. PE(FROM NE) - ZACH BROWN - OLB : The Eagles are likely going to sign Connor in FA. They still need LB upgrades though. They don't want to risk him going to the Giants and no way Brown would make it back to them so they pull off the same kind of deal the Saints did last year (giving up next years 1st and 1 of their 2 second rounders) to grab the speedster.
32. NYG - DWAYNE ALLEN - TE : Both of the Giants 2 starting TE's tore their ACL's in the Superbowl. Neither may be healed enough and ready by the start of the season. Here they draft an upgrade and insurance at the position.
ROUND 2 - Less explanations here
1. SR - STEPHEN GILMORE - CB
2. IC - COBY FLEENER - TE : (Moved him up after the cut of Clark / was formerly KO - OT/G)
3. MD(FROM MV) - RYAN TANNEHILL - QB : Many people think he'll be taken in the 1st, I'm probably wrong, but I don't. However, I think he'll be highly sought after in the 2nd. The Dolphins win the push for him and get their future starter after Manning. Trade details below.
4. TB - DAVID WILSON - HB
5. CBR - LAMAR MILLER - HB
6. JJ - KELECHI OSEMELE - OT/G
7. SR(FROM WR) - BRANDON THOMPSON - DT
8. CP - HARRISON SMITH - S
9. BB - MOHAMED SANU - WR
10. MV(FROM MD) - ALFONZO DENNARD - CB
11. SS - ANDRE BRANCH - DE
12. KC - ZEBRIE SANDERS - OT
13. DC - CAM JOHNSON - DE/OLB
14. PE - REUBEN RANDLE - WR
15. CP(FROM NYJ) - VINNY CURRY - DE : It was either Curry - DE, David - OLB, or Zeitler - G for me here.
16. NE - JEREL WORTHY - DT/DE
17. SC - KEVIN ZEITLER - G
18. CBEA - LAVONTE DAVID - OLB
19. NE(FROM PE) - JOSH ROBINSON - CB
20. TT - JAYRON HOSLEY - CB
21. CBEN - DOUG MARTIN - HB
22. DL - BOBBY WAGNER - OLB
23. AF - ORSON CHARLES - TE
24. PS - ALAMEDA TA'AMU - DT
25. DB - TOMMY STREETER - WR
26. HT - KENDALL REYES - DT
27. NO - RONNELL LEWIS - OLB
28. GB - BRUCE IRVIN - OLB
29. BR - JURON CRINER - WR
30. SF - TRUMAINE JOHNSON - CB
31. NE - MARVIN JONES - WR : This is a really hard team to mock for at this point. I could see this pick ultimately traded away. For now I'm just give them a WR (like in walterfootball's mocks).
32. NYG - CHANDLER JONES - DE
MD trade up is similar to the 49ers trade from last year to grab Kaepernick so I say it would cost them their 2nd & 4th and 2013 3rd (2013 pick thrown in since I think there will be competition for this pick and that may be what does it).
So what do you guys think about this 2 round pre-FA mock?