Cat Scratch Reader got off on the wrong foot with Thomas Davis this season. During training camp, a simple CSR observation on Twitter about Davis limping after one play led to a stern rebuke from Davis who called the observation idiotic.
We were wrong. Davis was not only NOT injured, but he was stronger. It didn’t take long in the regular season before fans went from collectively holding our breath about Davis getting injured again, to Davis becoming one of the best players on the team.
Luke Kuechly has the numbers and Charles Johnson and Greg Hardy have the bravado and bluster, but make no mistake, Davis is the heart of the defense. His interception last week not only sealed the deal against Atlanta, but cemented what has become one of the best and unheralded comebacks this season in the NFL.
ESPN 730 Radio in Charlotte caught up with Davis in an interview today. Among the topics:
- Coming back from three knee injuries
- Being a leader on the defense ("Guys tend to follow guys who are making plays. But when you are not contributing its hard to get guys to believe what you are saying.")
- How sweet it was to beat Atlanta last week
- The character of the team
- This week's game against San Diego
- How much the team likes playing for Ron Rivera ("As a player, you couldn't ask for a better coach. It's a privilege to play for him.")
It's a privilege for Panthers fans to watch one of the gutsiest players this team--and the NFL--will ever see.