Once again the Panther defense plays well enough to win but with the game on the line the offense can't catch a break. The Cowboys might give a refs a hat tip for this one for a couple bad or no calls in crunch time.
Though its hard to blame the refs too much when the offense plays so poorly they had a chance to drive for a game winning score at the end. But there were three the Panthers send to the league office I bet:
1 - With 2:11 in the game and facing a 4th and 1 the Panthers the Cowboys were caught dead running their defense back out late and the Panthers hiked the ball and converted the 4th down. But a late whistle at the snap gave the Cowboys a time out.
2 - Then on the 4th down play after the time out rookie CB Mo Claiborne clearly hit Louis Murphy early and knocked the ball away. Nothing was called though
3 - 2nd and 10 with 2 min left James Anderson was called for horse collar tackle that was not a horse tackle. It just looks like one because of how the RB went down but you can see he did not go inside the pads
Cam Newton finished 21 for 37 for 233 yards 1 TD, 1 INT. The Panthers still have yet to win a game in which Newton throws an INT. It was a costly one as well coming in the end zone. Here's some other player stats or highlights:
- WR Brandon LaFell caught 4 passes for 53 yards and a TD
- WR Steve Smith caught 7 passes for 83 yards
- RB Jonathan Stewart ran 10 time for 35 yards
- Mike Tolbert got 3 carries for 9 yards and a TD
- LB Thomas Davis caused a fumble recovered by Luke Kuechly; Kuechly finished with 8 tackles and 7 assists
- LB James Anderson had 7 tackles and 5 assists but dropped an INT that might have changed this outcome
Who was the Panther player of the game in loss to Cowboys?
QB Cam Newton (51 votes)
WR Brandon LaFell (63 votes)
WR Steve Smith (9 votes)
LB Luke Kuechly (192 votes)
LB James Anderson (13 votes)
328 total votes