Today is the final day of the Carolina Panthers organized team workouts in Charlotte, NC- also, it's the day players have been willing to open up to the media. This isn't blanket, carte blanche access, however, as only Jordan Gross, Travelle Wharton, Cam Newton, Jason Baker and Jon Beason will be made available for interviews.
Newton spent the early time as players arrived casually catching punts from Jason Baker, but revealed some interesting information to the press (courtesy of Steve Reed and Joseph Person): Newton said that Steve Smith attended practice earlier this week and spent some time throwing passes to him. This counters what Smith said a few days ago about not attending the practices due to illness in his family. Smitty is known to be mercurial, but this is as tough to read as any situation we've seen. It should be noted that yesterday Peter King was on Charlotte's WFNZ to talk Carolina Panther football and he confirms what we've heard from numerous sources: He's hearing Smith wants out, and that his preference is to play in San Diego.
More notes and updates after the jump
The below updates are all from Charlotte area sports writers via their Twitter accounts
- Dan Connor is running on the field following his hip surgery (Steve Reed)
- Jon Beason referred to the arrest of his accuser Gregory Frye calling him a "creature of habit" (Joe Person)
- Newton says he's becoming very familiar with the offense. (Mike Cranston)
- Cam Newton was impressed with Steve Smith's speed (Steve Reed)
- 50 players are attending today's workout (Steve Reed)
- Neither Steve Smith, nor DeAngelo Williams are at the workout today (Steve Reed)