Todd McShay talks about the NFL Combine

This morning Scouts Inc. director of scouting Todd McShay went on ESPN radio's 'Mike & Mike in the Morning' to discuss the weekend at the combine and by extension Cam Newton. McShay stopped short for discounting the entire combine process, but he did say that 80% of scouting is done before the combine ever begins based on game film, with the majority of that remaining 20% coming from the medical exams and interviews with teams. Granted, teams are probably questioning AJ Green after a mediocre day yesterday, but it's important to note that most of the work is already done.

Rather than breaking down Newton in depth McShay elected to discuss what he's hearing from scouts. McShay said he spoke to one head scout for a team with no need for a QB who responded when asked who Carolina should take said "Cam Newton". He went on to say that numerous teams would be interested in him with nine of the first twelve picks coming from teams in need for a QB (presumably Carolina, Buffalo, Cincinnati, Arizona, San Francisco, Tennessee, Washington, Minnesota-I don't know who McShay has as his 9th). McShay added that that numerous scouts see Newton as a 'once in a decade' prospect, even after his lackluster throwing display yesterday. Finally, McShay said that he still believes Blaine Gabbert is the best quarterback in the 2011 draft. 

It was short, it was sweet, but as time goes on it's looking more and more like Cam Newton will be the #1 pick in the NFL draft- the question is "Will we be the one who picks him, or will that pick belong to someone else on draft day?".

UPDATE: This morning Darin Gantt has a plethora of good information considering the feelings on Newton in Indianapolis: 

Here's another thought on Cam: Talked to one of the smartest people I know in the league. He wasn't shaken by yesterday's "bad" workout. Smart Guy: "Could still be a transformative player, a Magic Johnson, 6-9 point guard. We just want to see improvement from now til pro day." He has loads of physical talent, but it still a work in progress. You know that going in. Needs help to be special. Also, the smart guy shrugged when asked about Newton missing short outs high. "It's when he leaves them inside they get taken back for six."

UPDATE part 2: It's been rumored via leak that Alabama QB Greg McElroy scored a 48/50 on the Wonderlic. It's not as if the Panthers would take him anywhere near the top, but this could be the start of the Wonderlic scores being leaked, which will be fascinating.

X
Log In Sign Up

forgot?
Log In Sign Up

Please choose a new SB Nation username and password

As part of the new SB Nation launch, prior users will need to choose a permanent username, along with a new password.

Your username will be used to login to SB Nation going forward.

I already have a Vox Media account!

Verify Vox Media account

Please login to your Vox Media account. This account will be linked to your previously existing Eater account.

Please choose a new SB Nation username and password

As part of the new SB Nation launch, prior MT authors will need to choose a new username and password.

Your username will be used to login to SB Nation going forward.

Forgot password?

We'll email you a reset link.

If you signed up using a 3rd party account like Facebook or Twitter, please login with it instead.

Forgot password?

Try another email?

Almost done,

By becoming a registered user, you are also agreeing to our Terms and confirming that you have read our Privacy Policy.

Join Cat Scratch Reader

You must be a member of Cat Scratch Reader to participate.

We have our own Community Guidelines at Cat Scratch Reader. You should read them.

Join Cat Scratch Reader

You must be a member of Cat Scratch Reader to participate.

We have our own Community Guidelines at Cat Scratch Reader. You should read them.

Spinner.vc97ec6e

Authenticating

Great!

Choose an available username to complete sign up.

In order to provide our users with a better overall experience, we ask for more information from Facebook when using it to login so that we can learn more about our audience and provide you with the best possible experience. We do not store specific user data and the sharing of it is not required to login with Facebook.

tracking_pixel_9341_tracker