I decided this morning to blindly stab in the dark and hope someone, somewhere caught video of the workout heard around the nation of Cam Newton yesterday in San Diego. Thankfully it didn't take very long. YouTube user 'BryanDFischer' posted almost 10 minutes of video displaying Newton's footwork, his backpedal, arm strength, release speed and proof he can make tough throws.
After watching the video in its entirity I can see what all the fuss is about now, and I can see why the media are going to have a field day with him come the combine. Whether Newton is the QB for us, or trade bait is a conversation for a later day- but I think it's undeniable that the Cam Newton in this workout video looks like a very special player.
What surprised me:
- His foot speed: Not just in the drills, but in his ability to avoid the pass rush Newton was able to move well in the pocket, plant and throw.
- He can take snaps under center: Didn't look to be any issues in the numerous reps of him taking pro-style snaps.
- He sells the PA pass better than I thought: It's not near as mystifying as Andrew Luck's, but it's far better than I thought.
- He lead his receivers better than I thought he could: Several passes left Newton's hand just as the receiver made his break, and they were on the money.
- His release is faster than I thought: The ball is coming out of his hand far faster than it was at Auburn. Perhaps the last month with Whitfield (QB coach) has helped him this dramatically.
The phyisical attributes have never been in question, but rather the mental ones and those questions still exist. However, in terms of a 'how NFL ready is Cam?' situation this video proved to me that he's much more ready to contribute early that I thought, and may not need the 2-3 years of development I had anticipated.
What did you think CSR faithful, did this video change your opinion of Newton any?