Are you for serial?
Editors Warning: This post is not for serial, so move along if you're not in the mood for a little levity.
I wish to preface this post by stating that I very much enjoy (and participate in) mock drafts and predictions about who the Panthers may look to add during the off-season. I visit scouting sites frequently, looking for that gem of a pick to take us the rest of the way to the promised land. We all know these mocks are based on opinion and speculation to a large extent; yet some folks seem to take it a little too seriously. I mean, we do have 4 games left before our draft position will be known, draft stock will rise and fall based on bowl games, all star games, the combine/pro-days. Plus, we don't know what strategies are in the minds of Hurney and BAMF. It's still fun, though.
Having said all that, I do want to give a shout out to some of my favorite mocks of the year so far:
- Lesbian Montgomery's look at his crystal balls (posted 12/1) comes in at number one because it introduced me to a real draft gem in OG David DeCastro, and there was really only one pick I found questionable.
- James' Ludicrously Early Mock v.2 (posted 11/28) is tantalizing for the trade back, although now I think I'd take DeCastro over Jonathan Martin in the first. Rest of the draft is spot on, I think.
- James' Premature Panthers Mock (posted 10/13) - sadly, no one survived the 6 weeks between drafts. I find that telling, in that it shows how much can change in 6 weeks.
- Kris Mynatt's More WET Top Cat Pics (posted 9/28), even though it has nothing to do with a mock draft, I still love the pics.
After the jump, I'll list my Honorable Mention drafts, followed by my All BAMF top-10 characters from film and TV.
Honorable mentions to:
tarheels24's Four Scenario mock (posted 11/25) for its jack-of-all-trade scenarios
jkp1516's Outside the Box draft (posted 11/23) for being "Outside the Box" ...but not with a Fox
Zack Bowring's 4th Mock Draft (posted 11/15), because I think vanilla is the finest of the flavors...even if it took him 4 tries
tarheels24's Proposed Panthers Mock (posted 11/2) for it's double down trade and the enduring love for Z. Brown and D. Jones
Zack Bowring's 1st Mock Draft (posted 10/18) because Zack has done 5 of these so far, so he gets extra credit.
All the others, because I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings.
End of Mock Draft Post
And now for what you've all been waiting for; Rick's BAMF Picks from Cinema and TV:
- Cordell Walker - Ass-kicking WLB; Chuck Norris approved ('nuff said)
- Rooster Cogburn - Mean one-eyed sumbitch of a DT; High motor; displays True Grit against double team
- Snake Plissken - Mean one-eyed sumbitch of a RB; has outstanding Escapability
- Harry Callahan - Great cover CB with good size (6'4, 215); Sudden Impact tackler in the run game; lacks discipline at times
- Ellen Ripley - Genetically cloned with Alien DNA, it can play any position with uncanny strength, speed, and ferocity (eligibility status pending League decision)
- John Rambo - Versatile SS that packs a punch, especially for his small stature (5'9, 228)
- Martin Riggs - WR that can get off the line with a quick elbow to the DB's chin; Lethal offensive Weapon
- Conan - Can play at either the 4-3 DE or 3-4 OLB; a Destroyer of O-Tackles; compares to Demarcus Ware
- John McClane - projects as Slot WR; At 6'0, 211, has good size; makes plays in tight spots. Attitude screams Never Say Die; Hard to bring down even by LBs.
- James T. Kirk - FS/KR; multi-year Captain; makes unbelievable plays in space ... and great deals on the internet