The Panthers took an early 10 point lead and never looked back as the Bucs committed four turnovers. Rookie QB Cam Newton only threw for 177 yards with 91 of them coming on one TD pass to WR Brandon LaFell. He added three more TDs, two via the pass and another on a 49 yd keeper up the middle that broke the Bucs back. Newton didn't need to throw the ball much as RBs DeAngelo Williams and Jonathan Stewart ran wild. All that and the rookie passing record for Cam Newton was on display today at BoA Stadium.
Here's my quick hits:
- The Panthers ran for 270 yards (8.7 ypc) versus the Bucs 59
- The Panthers forced 3 fumbles and newly promoted S Jonathan Nelson intercepted a Josh Freeman pass
- Speaking of Nelson he added 7 tackles and pass knocked down... a great showing for a guy the Panthers got off the street eight days ago.
- RB DeAngelo Williams was the dagger today, opening the scoring with an 8 yard jaunt and then vanquishing our 3rd quarter blues with a 22 yarder to extend the lead to 17. He finished with 66 yards.
- RB Jonathan Stewart had his first reception for a TD of the season, scoring from 11 yards out on a 4th down play.
More after the jump...
- The Panthers put up 433 yards of offense to the Bucs 317 though the Bucs had 5 minutes more time of possession and 11 more plays
- DT Andre Neblett had a sack as did DE Thomas Keiser. Kearse and Shirley split one as well.
- LB Jordan Senn had another nice outing with 10 tackles
- LB Jason Williams had a perfect tackle and forced fumble on kick coverage...on of the better ones of the season on special teams