INDIANAPOLIS, IN - NOVEMBER 27 Robert Mathis #98 of the Indianapolis Colts sacks Cam Newton #1 of the Carolina Panthers at Lucas Oil Stadium on November 27, 2011 in Indianapolis, Indiana. (Photo by Scott Boehm/Getty Images)
The third quarter has not been kind to the Panthers this season. Whether leading or trailing at the half things tend to get worse in the 3rd quarter. So today maybe it was a good sign they were tied at 10 at the half. After driving down to the red zone early in the 3rd it seemed like more of the same after a Jeremy Shockey fumble. Fortunately the Panther ground game got rolling and DeAngelo Williams and Jonathan Stewart helped put the Colts away. It wasn't without some 4th quarter worries though.
After going up by 11 the Colts scored on a long TD to Reggie Wayne to pull within 5 after a failed 2 pt conversion. Fortunately KR Kealoha Pilares did some good work returning the kickoff down to the Colts 32. The Panthers settled for a FG but it pushed the lead to 8 and the Panthers didn't look back. CB Chris Gamble and then S Sherrod Martin ended the Colts last two comeback attempts with INTs in the end zone. It was another nail biter but we got our 3rd win of the season to rise to 3-8.
- QB Cam Newton was 20 for 27 for 208 yards with one rushing TD and 54 yards rushing
- RB DeAngelo Williams racked 69 yards and 2 TDs on 15 carries
- RB Jonathan Stewart added 70 yards on 10 carries
- KR Kealoha Pilares had a 76 yard kick return to set the Panthers up at the Colts 32
- Both CB Chris Gamble and then S Sherrod Martin had key INTs in the 4th quarter to end a Colts threats. The last came with only 30 seconds remaining to seal the win.
The Almost Great
- PR Armanti Edwards had a beautiful 45 yard return nullified by a penalty
- WR Steve Smith had a sweet reception taken away on a ticky tack OPI call
It wasn't all roses as we had a few issues but over all its positive...after the jump...
- The Panthers run defense continued its porous ways letting Donald Brown rush for 80 yards and a TD
- TE Jeremy Shockey fumbled the ball away
- WR Reggie Wayne was the recipient of some generosity from our secondary who at times couldn't tackle him. He had 5 catches fro 122 yards and a TD
- The Panthers o-line gave up 3 sacks and at times seemed to have lunch in the Panthers backfield.