Is Mare a solid clutch kicker, or one that chokes in clutch situation? Was his 31 yard miss to tie the game an anomaly in his career, or is this something we can expect to see more of? I wanted to take a closer look at Orlando Mare's statistics after some Panther fans calling for his head. Is he really not a good clutch kicker despite his above average career field goal percentage? Does he miss a lot of "short" field goals? How many game winning "late" field goals does he make or miss? I wanted to find some actual hard data on Mare, and not just rely on the opinions of from some posts that he isn't a good clutch kicker.I had a hard time finding exact statistics on game winning (or losing) field goal statistics. What I did find was game logs from 2000-2010 here.
I sorted for Mare, and then went back through all his kicks from 2000-2010. I looked for any makes or misses late in the game that may have been "clutch". ( I loosely define clutch kicks being in the fourth quarter of a game with the team ahead or behind by 7 points or less)
I also used his career statistics from here.
For you diehard who like to dig into the stats I've listed field goals and extra points missed every year and then any field goals made or missed in what would be possibly considered a "clutch" situation.
If you want don't want to read the whole post, skip to the end of the post and I'll summarize the results.
- 2000 - 28 of 31 (90.3%). Misses - 36, 47, 28. The missed 47yrd and 28yrd were in the same game in the early third and early fourth quarters in a tight game at New England. He kicked a game winning 49yrd FG with :15 sec. left in the same game.
- 2001 - 19 of 21 (90.5%) Misses- 42, 49. At Buffalo he kicked a 42yrd FG to tie the game with 1:17 left.
- 2002 - 24 of 31 ( 77.4%) Misses - 41, 28, 45, 48,54, 40,47 At Denver he kicked a 53 yrd FG with :11 sec.left to win. Against Oakland he missed a 40 yrd FG with 8:53 left in the 4thQ with Miami holding a 3 pt lead. In the same game he kicked a 41 yrd FG with 2:33 in the 4thQ to put the Dolphins up by 6. Against Minnesota he kicked a 25 yrd FG to tie the game with 6:12 left in the 4thQ.
- 2003 - 22 of 29 (75.9%) Misses - 51, 26, 44, 36, 48, 53. Against Buffalo he missed a 44 yrd FG with 6:47 left in the 4thQ with Miami up by 3. At the Giants, he kicked a 48 yrd FG at 13:30 in the 4th Q. with Miami up by 3. At New England he missed a 35 yrd FG at 12:06 in the 4thQ of a tie game. Against Baltimore he missed a 48 yrd FG with 2:34 to play in either a tie game, or with Miami up by 3. (not sure) In the same game he hit a 43 yrd FG in OT to beat Baltimore. Against the Jets he missed a 53 yrd FG with 3:29 left with Miami down by 1. In the same game he then kicks the game winner with :07 left to beat the Jets.
- 2004 - 12 of 16 (75%) (Mare missed 5 games due to injury) Misses - 46, 34, 22, 53. At Cincinnati, he kicks a 47 yrd FG to tie it with 1:47 left. At Seattle he missed a 34 yrd FG to tie with 8:10 left. He then kicks a 39 yrd FG to tie with 2:47 left. At San Francisco he hit a 50 yrd FG at 7:21 in the 4thQ to put Miami up by 7. He kicks a 51 yrd FG with :12 sec left to beat Cleveland.
- 2005 - 25 of 30 (83.5%) Misses - 21, 36, 38, 53, 31. Against Carolina he kicks a 32 yrd FG with :07 sec left to win. At San Diago he kicks a 20 yrd FG at 1:14 in the 4thQ to put the Dolphins up by 9. At New England he hit a 42 yrd FG with 2:00 min left to put Miami up by 8. (one of 4 field goals in the game played in New England on Jan 1st. 11mph wind, 28 degrees.)
- 2006 - 26 of 36 ( 72.2%) Misses - 55, 30, 50, 51, 52, 50, 44,42,, Against Tennessee he hit a 39 yrd FG with 3:43 left for the win in a tie game. At the Jets he missed a game tying 51 yrd FG as time expired.
- 2007 - 10 of 17 (58.8%) (with New Orleans, played 13 games) Misses - 52, 38, 54,43, 52, 57, Against Carolina he missed a 54 yrd FG with 2:19 left in the game.
- 2008 - 24 of 27 (88.9%) (with Seattle) Misses - 38, 53, 42. Against San Francisco he hit a 32 yrd FG with 7:45 left in the 4thQ to put Seattle up by 3. At St. Louis he kicked a 27 yrd FG with :03 sec left for the win. Against the Jets he kicked a 38 yrd FG with 1:16 left in the 4thQ to put Seattle up by 10.
- 2009 - 24 of 26 (92.3%) Misses 43, 34, Against Chicago he hit a 46 yrd FG at 5:17 in the 4thQ to put Seattle up by 2. At Arizona he hit a 20 yrd FG at 13:07 in the 4thQ to put Seattle up by 3. Against San Francisco he hit a 30 yrd FG with :04 sec left to win the game. Against Tennessee he hit a 20 yrd FG at 12:07 in the 4thQ to put Seattle up by 3.
- 2010 - 25 of 30 (88.3%) Misses -51, 29, 29, 47, 43. No clutch kicks or misses. (Seattle was blown out in most games)
Clutch kicks made -22
Clutch kicks missed - 8
Game winning or tying kicks in the last 2 mins - 10 for 11 ( his only miss was from 51 yards out as time expired)
3 extra points blocked, 1 extra point missed. 6 field goals blocked ( 34,40,32,20,49,22)
I can't find one "gimmie" kick that he has missed in a clutch situation.
10 of 49 of his missed FG came from inside 35 yards from 2000 to 2010. ( 16 of 49 were missed from 50 or more yards)
It seems he is a little prone to missing some of those shorter chip shot field goals, though he usually doesn't do that in clutch situations.
I was as devastated as everyone else when Mare missed that tying field goal against the Vikings, but after reviewing his career stats I am giving him a freebie on that one; and think he will help us a lot more than he hurts us over the next few years.
(I did my best to get all the information correct in this post. If there is something anyone finds that is wrong, please feel free to correct me. I don't guarantee that every fact is 100% correct)