The Panthers had their chances in this game but once again too often settled for FG attempts once in the red zone. It's hard to pin this one on any phase of the game though. The defense was gashed repeatedly early but only gave up 13 points until the garbage TD at the end.. Special teams gave up a TD on a punt return and Cam Newton threw his first pick 6. No I think all three phases of the game share in this loss Panther fans.
Here's some recap quick hits:
- QB Cam Newton finished 27 for 46 for 374 yards 1 TD, 1 INT but two rushing TDs. Newton is our most reliable scoring play inside the 3 yard line
- WR Steve Smith had 8 receptions for 181 yards... but most were in the first half
- WR Legs Naanee seemed to have a bazzilion passes thrown his way and he caught three of them for 18 yards
- The Panther running game showed improvement with 134 yards between RBs Williams (10 for 82) and Stewart (8 for 52)
- SS Charles Godfrey got his first INT of the young season on top of 5 tackles and a pass defensed...more after the jump...
- DE Charles Johnson got a sack for the 4th straight game.
- LB Dan Conner led the Panthers with 8 tackles but the Panther defense gave up 205 yards rushing to Bears RB Matt Forte
- The Panthers committed 8 penalties for 52 yards, some at the worst possible time.
- Carolina for 2 for 12 on 3rd down...again an area they struggle
- Panthers won the TOP battle 33.5 minutes to 26.5
Let's hear from you Panther fans...how do you feel about this one?