This is getting old. The Panthers again make a game of it only to fall short in the 4th quarter because of critical mistakes. In this case QB Cam Newton threw an INT on a screen pass that admittedly was a great play by the DT Corey Peters. The Panthers offense is very dynamic true, but the rookie QB is making mistakes like you would expect. Unfortunately he is making them at terrible times.
The offense isn't getting help from the defense. They couldn't stop the run or a Falcons drive in the 4th quarter. The tacking is atrocious and the penalties on both sides of the ball are killing the Panthers chances of winning.
Here are a few quick hits with more analysis to come:
- QB Cam Newton went 21 for 35 for 237 yards, No TDs and 3 INTs
- Newton also ran for 53 yards and a nifty 14 yard score as well
- RB Jonathan Stewart had 7 rushes for 48 yards and a TD
- TE Jeremy Shockey had 4 catches for 60 yards
- OT Byron Bell three costly penalties and was exposed several times in protection
- Run defense is terrible..110 yards to Turner
- DE Charles Johnson had 4 tackles and a sack
There is not much positive about the defense to talk at all. Special teams didn't give up any big returns but were also no help in the return game. Just non-existent is what I would call out special teams. More analysis to come.