The Panthers coasted out of the preseason in their loss to the Steelers. The first team offense remained on the bench and so did and semblance of scoring opportunities. When the Panther back-ups did mount a drive it was typically stalled due to penalties (7 for 65 yds).But John Fox did get what he wanted out of this game and that is no injuries to key players. Mission accomplished!
Therefore there just isn't mush to recap about this game itself. On the other hand we did have a lot of players fighting for their jobs so lets discuss a couple bubble players.
- Todd Carter kicked both of his kick offs into the end zone. Though one was still returned 28 yards I'm thinking Fox keeps him for now
- WR David Gettis had two catches and a nice KO return for 34 yards. He is going to be one of the toughest cuts as he has really come on lately. I'm hoping he sticks.
- Though WR Armanti Edwards is in no danger of getting cut it was nice to see him get a nifty 22 yd PR...more after the jump...
- LB Jamar Williams led the defense with 8 combined tackles. I'm thinking he slides into one of the back-up LB spots as he got healthy just in time.
- For me LB Nic Harris came out of nowhere to play pretty good. He is also a special teams guy who will also be one of the tough final cuts. I just don't see where he fits though.
- Neither QB Hunter Cantwell or Tony Pike gave us any confidence either could be effective in a game situation. I thought Cantwell made a couple ncie throws but it wasn't enough. I would cut both.
- Neither of the Panther RB's Josh Vaughan or Dantrell Savage did anything to justify a roster spot. They can thank the weak offensive line in front of them for most of that.
- The back-up offensive line was terrible period. G Duke Robinson is still not ready and nobody else did much. I'm thinking the Panthers keep Schwartz, Robinson and Williams and bring in someone else' cut.
- If CB RJ Stanford wasn't getting toasted he was getting called for a penalty
- LB Quinton Culbertson looked average best against the Steelers back-ups.
I'm sure I'm some guys so please feel free to chimp in.