The Panthers began this season much like they did last season's dismal 8-8 season. QB Matt Moore threw three INTs in the end zone to essentially hand the victory to the Giants. All three were simply poor passes that should have instead been thrown away. Yet Moore isn't the only one guilty of poor play on this day. The offensive line became a sieve in the 2nd half. The defensive secondary couldn't cover Hakeem Nicks, who scored 3 TD's. In the end the Panthers couldn't make enough plays in either side of the ball to make up the difference in score once they got behind in the 2nd half.
Here's my positives from the game:
- RB Mike Goodson had a good day returning kickoffs averaging 23 yds on 5 returns with a 45 yard late int he 2nd half; He also caught 3 passes
- DE Greg Hardy blocked a punt for a safety and forced a fumble
- S Charles Godfrey picked off two deflected passes as the defense forced 4 turnovers
Here's some quick hits from the game, ...after the jump...
- Matt Moore has got to stop staring down his receivers and stop lobbing the ball
- Captain Munnerlyn had nifty 28 yard PR
- Secondary got picked apart in the red zone though they had a decent day tackling
- Goodson on crossing patterns is my new favorite play
- Goodson KO return to the 50 yard line towards the end of the 2nd qtr was the high point of the game; the offense took it down and scored for their only lead of the game
- WR Steve Smith caught a TD pass on same route that broke his arm against the Giants
- The offensive line just got abused int he 2nd half
- The Giants bottled up the Panthers running game in the 2nd half
- RB Jonathan Stewart did not look to be in game shape, was running tentative
- LB Dan Conner had 13 combined tackles to lead the defense and added a sack
Overall just an ugly performance by the offense. The defense played well at times but made some mistakes. Outside of a botched snap special teams constantly gave the Panthers good field position. I know you are disappointed Panther fans, let's hear it!