You might recall there was a certain star DE that left the Panthers this offseason for a number of reasons but there was one in particular that rubbed me a little wrong. Said DE left for a franchise that had 'a history and tradition' which I thought was a little unfair, and short-sighted I might add. Do the fans of a new franchise have less to celebrate than those that have been around for 40 years? Maybe, but you would think said star (and local kid I might add) would want to build the franchise legacy himself.
Putting that aside though I've been thinking that the Panthers already have a rich tradition in their 15 seasons so why not list them and see what we got? Let's take it one step further and include our CSR traditions we've developed over the past three years.
I need your help with this endeavor so chime in ...after the jump...
Let's start with a few obvious CSR traditions:
- I'm going to post in the sidebar the annual winner of our Fantasy Football and Pick the Draft champions
- Though we didn't create it I think the 'Do Not Want' Dog is a tradition for conveying disagreement with the pursuit of a particular player
- We use '+1' to convey agreement with another persons comment on a post. We do not use '
this'. Also, we don't play the 'first' game; if you don't know what that is then don't ask....just the way I like it.
- I want to start a training camp tradition of meeting under 'One Tree Hill...err Tree' as I call it before a TC session. Its the lone tree on the hill closest to the player entry and exit where you get autographs.
- We should also establish a tail-gating spot before home games somehow but that is a work-in-progress.
- Official CSR endorsed Super Fan has got to be The Cat Man.
e think the Patriots got off light for obvious cheating and that there should have been more investigation into potential defensive signal stealing in the 2003 Super Bowl. Okay, maybe that is actually more just me but just saying...
Let's talk Panther traditions:
- A new one has to be WR Steve Smith setting the NFL's Rules and Regulations and our list of them
- Double Trouble is getting one going with The Matrix TD dance
- Who can forget Rod Smart and his He Hate Me from his XFL LV Outlaws days? That probably doesn't qualify but it was funny at the time
- On the field there is Moose's record 85 yd TD in the 2003 Super Bowl
- There is also Ricky Manning Jr's INT and Smitty's subsequent OT TD over the Rams that is one for the ages
- There's always the fact the Panthers made the playoffs in only their second season of existence
- The Panthers Hall of Honor is reserved for only the absolute best and neither on the field stats nor seniority guarantee anything
- Panther infamy rests with Rae Curruth's conviction and its saddest came from the passing of Fred Lane
So help me out, what did I forget? Once we get a good list I'll create a dedicated page and post a link in the left sidebar.