I was looking around at some top propect draft boards and thought I'd put one up and talk about the possibilities using the 'best player available' strategy. So put aside the Panthers perceived position needs for now, this is about simply picking the best player at any position when it comes time for the Panthers first pick. Oh...and its complete coincidence thaqt the list starts and ends with a WR.How does this one look for you if any of these were available? Let's assume the Panthers pick #48 with their pick, barring any trades (a serious possibility).
42. Jacoby Ford, WR, Clemson - 5'10- 185
43. Jared Odrick, DT, Penn State - 6'5- 296
44. Brandon Graham, DE, Michigan - 6'2- 263
45. Ciron Black, OT, LSU - 6'5- 322
46. Vince Oghobaase, DT, Duke - 6'5- 305
47. Earl Thomas, CB, Texas - 5'10- 197
48. Rico McCoy, LB, Tennessee - 6'1- 221
49. Jermaine Gresham, TE, Oklahoma - 6'6- 261 Gresham missed the entire season, but he still decided to leave early and enter the draft.
50. Navorro Bowman, LB, Penn State - 6'1- 232
51. Sam Young, OT, Notre Dame - 6'8- 330
52. Greg Jones, LB, Michigan State - 6'1- 228
53. Jermaine Cunningham, DE, Florida - 6'3- 252. Cunningham was often overshadowed in the Florida defense opposite Dunlap, but he could end up being a steal.
54. Antonio Coleman, DE, Auburn - 6'2- 260
55. Toby Gerhart, RB, Stanford - 6'1- 235
56. Javier Arenas, CB, Alabama - 5'9- 195 He is undersized, but Arenas still showed what he can do in both the SEC Championship and the BCS National Championship.
57. Golden Tate, WR, Notre Dame - 5'11- 195 Tate had a huge year for Notre Dame and given all the changes in South Bend, it's no surprise he is going pro.
There are some good players on this, is there not? You've got the coveted Golden Tate (would he really last to 57?) and the speedy Jacoby Ford. I'm intrigued by the TE Jermaine Gresham and CB Arenas. Arenas looked really good in the BCS title game. Gresham was conisdered a 1st round lock before his injury.
The fact is you can get a really good player at this point in the draft, one that is 1st round quality at a second round price.