Wow! I can't believe i am saying this, but it is time to start at the top and then retool through the next 2-3 years.
John Fox is a good coach, but it is time to move on. We need toughness, and attitude. Offensively we are weak. Defenses shut down the run, and then double cover Steve Smith. What's plan B? There isn't.
I dread the 3rd Quarter, and this is where i feel John Fox lacks. The adjustment to protect leads or reverse deficits are not done. We are toast when the 3rd Quarter begins and then use the 4th quarter scrambling.
We cannot replace him with anyone new. We must have an established coach who knows how to draft, and coach. make adjustments. My preference would be Bill Cowher, and then Mike Shanahan. Cowher gives us the toughness, and Shanahan gives us the finesse.
The team needs heart. It begins at the top. The key players are getting frustrated. That is a VERY bad sign.
Here is my succession plan:
- Fire john Fox and hire Bill Cowher. Have Bill meet with Hurney and look at how to use whatever draft picks we have squandered to fill immediate needs through the draft or free agency.
- Trade Peppers if you can. he has placed himself out of the market for trading due to his high price tag. Unless your defense has a specific role for Julius, he wil not command that much coin.
- Renegotiate Jake's contract.make him the backup for the new quarterback.
- Give Beason a long term deal. Losing him would be a travesty to this team.
- Cut Jarrett. Replace Marshall to special teams only.