The Buffalo Bills came into Charlotte and left with a gift-wrapped victory courtesy of Panthers QB Jake Delhomme. I still can't come up with much to say about this game that doesn't lead back to Delhomme. All three of his INT's were the result of poor passes, in all cases the passes were overthrown, his signature error. If Delhomme is more careful with the ball the Bills put 6 points on the board today. Still enough for this impotent offense but that is not all Jake's fault. He is joined by OC Jeff Davidson who called a terrible game for the offense. Sure they did put up plenty of yards but I'm referring to some of the poor cales in key situations. The 4th down run up the middle that got stuffed comes to mind.
Here' some other quick thoughts on the game:
- The Panthers special teams was again terrible. Two missed FG's, no return game, poor kick coverage and then the comeback killing fumble by PR Kenny Moore. I feel bad for Moore but crap...he had two shots at the ball and muffed it completely.
- WR Steve Smith finally had a good game (6 for 99 yds) but still couldn't magically pull out a victory.
- The defense played a good game, holding the Bills offense to 123 yards passing and 53 yards rushing. Yet when given short fields to defend after Delhomme INT's they couldn't come up with a big play of their own.
- TE Gary Barnidge got his first significant playing time and finished with 3 catches for 77 yards, including a sweet 52 yard wheel play
- RB Mike Goodson got his first professional carries (2 for 4 yds) but it was otherwise not worth mentioning.
There are more positives and negatives from this game but in the end it was the interceptions that kept the Panthers from a chance at winning this game. Thirteen interceptions is monumentally terrible and one has to wonder how in the world the Panthers could start Delhomme yet again this Sunday in Arizona. Which leads to this poll: